Skip to content

Body Fat Index (BFI) counter

The Body Fat Calculator is a handy tool that can help you figure out what percentage of your body is fat. Please note that this index is not a measure of your overall fitness or health, for which the BMI index is more appropriate. However, the body fat meter can provide you with a lot of information about your body and indicate the direction of changes you should make in your lifestyle to regulate your body fat content. Of course, it is best to do it under the supervision of experienced and qualified MIND YOUR BODY trainers. Determine your body fat level in a few simple steps. Measure your waist, hip and neck circumference. Then enter your measurements into the BF calculator below and enter your gender. With one click you will get your body fat indicator.


Essential fatty tissue10-12 %2-4 %
Athletic14-20 %6-13 %
Fitness21-24 %14-17 %
Acceptable25-31 %18-25 %
Obesity32 %25 %


Regardless of whether you have been exercising regularly for a long time or just starting your adventure with physical activity, it is worth knowing the basic data and information on how the human body is built and what its composition is. You have to know that over 98% of the human body consists of only six elements. They are: oxygen, carbon, hydrogen, nitrogen, calcium and phosphorus. Half of the remaining 2% are potassium, sulfur, sodium, chlorine and magnesium. As for molecules, the most common and the largest percentage in the human body is, of course, water, which comprises almost 2/3 of the body’s total mass. Proteins and lipids also play an important role, and the list is closed by hydroxyapatites, carbohydrates and nucleic acids (including deoxyribonucleic (DNA) and ribonucleic (RNA) acids). Some of these molecules make up adipose tissue.


Adipose tissue, colloquially called fat, is located mainly in the subcutaneous layer and is composed primarily of fat cells, the so-called adipocytes, as well as pre-adipocytes, macrophages, fibroblasts and vascular stromal cells. The main function of adipose tissue is to store energy in the form of lipids. In addition, this tissue is responsible for the cushioning and insulation of your body. Keep in mind that there are different breakdowns of body fat. The best known division is brown fat (producing heat) and white fat (yellow, storing). From a figure point of view, we can consider that the body collects and accumulates two types of fat: essential (necessary) adipose tissue and additional fat. The former is particularly responsible for supporting human vital and reproductive functions. You have to bear in mind that in women this variety is much higher than in men due to hormonal functions. This is the reason for a different (higher) percentage that is normal and appropriate for women (20-25% of body weight) and different for men (15-20% of body weight). The second type is additional accumulated fat, which is also difficult to say that it is unnecessary in itself. Its function is to protect the abdomen and internal organs, but a significant excess of its normal value may result in obesity.


The above calculator will help you find your body fat percentage from your waist, hip and neck circumference, but there are also alternative methods that can calculate your body fat percentage. It is worth mentioning a few of them. The first is the skin-folding method, which involves pinching the skin at several specific points with a caliper and measuring the thickness of the skin fold, thereby determining the fat layer. You need to take three to seven measurements. This is a fairly simple method, but you can only measure the fat layer under the skin with it, and it still doesn’t answer the question of how much internal fat is there. The second popular method is also the calculation of the percentage of body fat based on the BMI index. This method is also flawed, as the amount of body fat in people with BMI of the same value can be completely different. A fairly reliable method is to determine the percentage of adipose tissue using the mechanism of electrical bioimpedance (low current flow). Using special scales, it is possible to determine the level of both subcutaneous and visceral adipose tissue.


If you are wondering why you should control the percentage of body fat, the answer is very simple – for your health! The higher the percentage of body fat, the greater the risk of obesity, and with it one of the many civilization diseases, including diabetes, atherosclerosis, coronary artery disease. It is important to start changing eating and movement habits as quickly as possible, preferably with professionals. The result you will get from the BF calculator should be consulted with a professional who has the necessary education and experience. Together with the team of MIND YOUR BODY experts, we are waiting for you to help you reduce fat in your body and take care of your health!